Colonial Coastal Fortifications
Sincere though General James Oglethorpe may have been about Georgia's philanthropic rhetoric, he understood that the colony also had a vital military mission to fulfill. Imperial strategy demanded a sturdy settlement to defend South Carolina's southern flank, both against Spanish Florida and unpredictable Southeastern Indians, and to secure the strategically vital Altamaha River against possible French encroachments from the west. Oglethorpe took these responsibilities seriously and, as soon as circumstances allowed, began the work of fortifying Georgia's coastline in earnest. The decisions he made, for better or worse, shaped the colony's early history and had much to do with its final southern border.
Early Strategic Concerns
The establishment of Fort Frederica on St. Simons Island, near the mouth of the Altamaha River, in 1736 marked the beginning of Oglethorpe's defensive scheme. His thinking was influenced heavily by Georgia's maritime geography, which consists of an uninterrupted series of barrier islands running along the coast. They form a natural water route, known as the Inland Passage,
Imperial Ambitions and Rivalry, 1736-1748
Oglethorpe attempted to extend his coastal defenses well south of Georgia's official boundary, stipulated in the colonial charter as "the most southern stream" of the Altamaha River. In 1736 he even began construction of a fort on St. Georges Island at the mouth of the St. Johns River, barely thirty-five miles from the Spanish stronghold of St. Augustine, Florida. Spanish anger over this intrusion ultimately forced the abandonment of Fort St. George, but Oglethorpe continued pressing to expand southward. Some scholars suspect that he may even have attempted to redraw versions of early Georgia maps to show fictive branches of the Altamaha River connecting to the St. Johns, thus implicitly redrawing the colony's southern border. His ambitions, thwarted at St. Georges Island, paid off in 1738, when he persuaded the British Parliament to send a regiment of nearly 700 soldiers to the colony. The majority of these men were stationed at Fort Frederica, but Oglethorpe also posted 200 men farther south at Fort St. Andrews and a smaller company of perhaps 50 or 60 men on the southern end of Cumberland Island.
The first real test of Oglethorpe's coastal defenses came with the War of Jenkins' Ear. After an unsuccessful siege of St. Augustine in 1740, Georgians retreated into their fortifications to await the inevitable Spanish retaliation. Finally, in 1742, led by the Spanish governor Manuel De Montiano, thirty-six naval vessels carrying 2,000 infantrymen appeared off the Georgia coast. The first alarm was raised by the garrison at
Decline and Inactivity, 1749-1783
The end of King George's War in 1748 brought a downsizing of Georgia's defenses. With the disbanding of the regiment in 1749, the southern portions of the colony, once the focus of Oglethorpe's ambitious energies, entered a prolonged period of neglect and inactivity.
Larry E. Ivers, British Drums on the Southern Frontier: The Military Colonization of Georgia, 1733-1749 (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1974).
John Tate Lanning, The Diplomatic History of Georgia: A Study of the Epoch of Jenkins' Ear (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1936).
Phinizy Spalding, Oglethorpe in America (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1977).
William L. Ramsey III, Tulane University
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.