Berry College is a comprehensive
The Early Years (1902-1942)
The daughter of a wealthy Floyd County planter, Martha Berry first became sensitive to the impoverished condition of many of the people who lived in the area's mountains when some young boys stumbled upon the private cabin retreat where she had gone to read her Bible. Berry was shocked to learn that the children attended neither church nor school and that they were unfamiliar with basic Bible stories. Her willingness to offer them
Berry wanted only rural children to attend her schools; she refused to admit students from urban areas, including nearby Rome. From its inception the Berry program emphasized the regenerative power of work. Diligent labor, she believed, would promote character in her students by encouraging responsibility and a sense of self-worth. Beginning in 1914, students at the schools would work each week for eight hours on two consecutive days and attend classes on four other days. The work program helped to keep operating costs
The academic curriculum followed Berry's declaration that the schools should promote an education of "the head, the heart, and the hands." Courses were offered in arts and sciences, but the boys' and girls' schools both emphasized training in industrial, agricultural, and domestic arts. The college offered advanced courses in these fields, along with teacher and business training. In accordance with Berry's faith, students were required to take courses on religious topics and to subscribe to a strict moral code. They also attended three weekly chapels and an interdenominational service on Sundays. Though a conservative Protestantism defined Berry's beliefs, the schools' religious teachings placed greater emphasis on service than on theology, as reflected by the adoption of the biblical admonition "not to be ministered unto but to minister" as their motto.
Berry also approved land purchases in Floyd County as a way to promote the institution's long-term financial security. By the 1930s the schools owned nearly 30,000 acres and possessed the largest campus of any educational institution. Martha Berry, meanwhile, gained national renown for her schools, including recognition in 1930 from Good Housekeeping magazine as one of the nation's twelve most influential women.
The College since 1942
Martha Berry's death in 1942 deprived the schools of their central figure as they entered their most difficult period.
Ultimately, the trustees concluded that the best hope for Berry's legacy lay in the development of the college. Under the leadership of John R. Bertrand, who was appointed president in 1956, the college continued to offer vocational training but concentrated on improving the liberal arts and professional programs to competitive levels. After gaining accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1957, the college modified the existing work-study schedule in order to place greater emphasis
Through these years the college continued to operate on tight finances, despite the sale of some of its lands for local development. This money was invested in restricted funds that helped build the endowment to about 185th among educational institutions nationally by 1999. Gloria M. Shatto, who succeeded Bertrand as president in 1980, continued to work on securing the institution's financial stability, and the college still owns more than 26,000 acres. By the 1990s Berry College annually enrolled approximately 1,800 undergraduates and roughly 200 students in its business and education graduate programs; enrollment numbers remain about the same today.
True to the founder's ideals, the trustees strive to keep tuition lower than that of comparable institutions, and each class still contains a large proportion of first-generation college students. Most students continue to work on campus for experience and spending money, and the Religion-in-Life program encourages them to participate in local churches and in volunteer service activities. In 1998 John Scott Colley assumed the presidency, and upon his retirement in 2006, Stephen R. Briggs became the school's eighth president.
Jonathan M. Atkins, "Philanthropy in the Mountains: Martha Berry and the Early Years of the Berry Schools," Georgia Historical Quarterly 82 (winter 1998): 856-76.
Ouida Dickey and Doyle Mathis, Berry College: A History (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2005).
Carol Anne Guthrie, "Education and the Evolution of the South: A History of the Berry Schools, 1902-1970" (Ph.D. diss., University of Tennessee, 1994).
Harnett T. Kane with Inez Henry, Miracle in the Mountains (Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1956).
Jonathan M. Atkins, Berry College
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.